Tuesday 24 May 2011

Thor and the art of Butchering


I went to my butcher today - Vito's.

The butchers name is Tony (I guess Vito sounds more like a butcher from the old country).

There is a very special feeling shopping at his butchery. For starters, Einsteins view on the relativity of time gets confirmed. With Tony time becomes relative - relative to the needs of his clients.

Tony take his time. Even though there is a line at the counter, he talks to his clients, knows their stories, what meats they like, what the cooked yesterday and shares his view on everything from your evening dinner to last nights hockey results.

And there is more.

he has a genuine passion about his product. he visits the farms where he buys his meat. He knows (and tells you) how the animals are treated. And not out of a concern for animal wellfare (even though he might care about that) - more important is the effect the treatment has on the quality and the taste of the meat.

He cares. his butchery is not only a job - it is a way of being. he loves his meat like I love my theater.

Today he told me that in Italy butchers are sometimes called doctors:

"Hey doctor, give me 800 grams of aged beef"

and added that over here (in canada) they were closer to the buttom of the food chain (so to speak) then the top.

And why is that?

Could this be the price of economic "progress" and increased productivity?

Well...

At least I looked very cool at the butcher today

Thor

No comments:

Post a Comment