Thursday 26 May 2011

Thor - God or Cartoon


Montreal is suffering a thunderstorm - in more meaning than one.

Since I god back to Montreal there has been a subtle change in the use of language from the people around me.

Before, when I would tell people my name, Thor, they would comment "like the God". (Which I rather liked).

But now they ask me "Oh, like the movie".

Of course it hurts to be downgraded from a God to a figure out of a Marvel comic - but even worse is the confirmation of the power of entertainment in modern culture.

Of course the Marvel comic Figure - THOR - is based on the God of thunder from the old nordic religion. But that fact seems to be transplanted, taken out of context and given it own (and very simplified) meaning.

Gone is the connection to thursday (derived from Thor), gone is the heathen influences on Anglo - Saxen culture. All that is left is - THOR the comic character.

Sometimes it is hard not to think that we are evolving into idiots...

All the best

Thor

No comments:

Post a Comment